January Membership Lunch Recap
It’s an exciting time of the year as our association gears up for 2017 events, education, and community involvement! We kicked off the year with a January Membership Lunch, which gave members a chance to reconnect after the holidays. Our yummy lunch was catered from Adam’s Ribs, and a couple of lucky members won Adam’s gift cards in the door prize raffle. In case you missed it, here’s what you need to know!
Note: This is a guest blog post by Sydney Jamieson, Market Director for Swamp Rentals—a search website for Gainesville apartments that helps renters connect renters with apartments that meet their lifestyle and budget.
Call for Committee Involvement!
NCFAA President, Libby Bridges, encouraged members to get involved with NCFAA’s committees. Did you know that to serve on a committee you do not need to be a Board or Advisory Council Member? Committees are a great way to get to know other NCFAA members and give you the opportunity to roll up your sleeves and help plan and volunteer at upcoming events. NCFAA has 9 committees and we have included quick descriptions below. If one of these committees sounds like a good fit for you, just email email@example.com to learn more about how to get involved!
- Membership – Maintain and grow NCFAA membership, and encourage membership involvement and attendance at NCFAA events.
- Education – Responsible for the planning of topics for educational classes, speakers, times, and locations.
- Events – Plan and execute existing NCFAA social/networking events. Special subcommittees will also be formed for the Holiday Party, Trade Show, Reverse Trade Show, and Job Fair.
- Communications – Encourage successful communication between NCFAA leaders and members through social media, e-newsletter, and the NCFAA website.
- Maintenance – Plan maintenance education topics, dates, and speakers. There is also a subcommittee for Maintenance Mania.
- Legislative – Represent association at city/county commission meetings and monitor and provide members with up-to-date information on legislative issues that affect the multifamily housing industry.
- Benevolence – Plan and execute Charity Bowl Challenge, Fall Food Drive, and Holiday Toy Drive, and select charities to support through various NCFAA annual events.
- Sponsorships/Fundraising – Secure sponsorships for NCFAA meetings and events.
- Young Professionals – Encourage industry young professionals to network, share industry ideas and concepts, get involved in community service, and recruit like-minded industry professionals to grow with the association through peer mentoring and NCFAA education opportunities. Want to connect with the NCFAA Young Professionals? Join the Facebook group!
Maintenance Mania is coming up on March 9th! This event gives your valued maintenance teams the chance to show off their skills and compete in timed maintenance skill events for cash prizes. For a new twist, apartment managers will be allowed to try the events this year and compete against their maintenance professionals. Managers will not be eligible to win the cash prizes reserved for maintenance teams, but there will be a prize for the manager with the fastest times. For more information, you can view the event details here.
FAA Legislative Conference
Florida Apartment Association (FAA) Legislative Days are approaching fast, and will be held on February 7-8th in Tallahassee. This is your opportunity to meet with our local legislators to increase awareness on issues that greatly impact the multifamily housing industry. If you’re interested in attending, you can view the event details here.
January’s Speakers: Smoke Free Housing
The local teams from Tobacco Free Florida and the Florida Apartment Association (FAA) were our featured speakers for the January Membership Lunch, and they provided members with information on smoke free housing and FAA’s Smoke Free Certification Program. If you’re looking for more information on what it means to be a Smoke Free Certified Community and making the transition to smoke free, you can visit FAA’s website for more information.
Don’t miss the next Membership Lunch, coming up on February 22nd! Rommel Anacan will be joining us from The Connection Experts speaking on the difference relationships can make for your community and business.