Resources for Hurricane Preparedness
As Florida closely watches Hurricane Michael, multifamily owners and managers have a unique challenge to provide information and support to residents as well as to protect property. Here are some recommendations gathered from apartment associations and management companies that have experience dealing with hurricanes.
- Monitor local media for weather conditions and emergency information.
- Obtain emergency contact numbers for residents, and be sure they know what number to call for community information.
- Provide team members contact information for all team members and management contact person.
- Ask residents to move furniture, plants, and other items from patios and balconies and place them indoors.
- Advise residents to fill bathtubs with water that can be used to flush toilets if necessary. Even residents who are evacuating may need water supplies upon their return.
- Ask residents who are evacuating to remove perishable food from refrigerators, to avoid having to clean out spoiled food in the event of a lengthy power outage.
- Drain pools about two feet. Move pool furniture, trash cans, outdoor seating, etc., indoors. Remove items from stairwells and walkways.
- Open property access gates that may become unoperational in the event of a power outage.
Sample Hurricane Announcement Letter
- For residents, please click here.
NOAA Extreme Weather Information Sheets by Region
- Central Florida
- East-Central Florida
- North-Central Florida
- Northwest Florida
- South Florida
- Southwest Florida
- West-Central Florida
*All direction contained here is for informational purposes only. Please follow the direction of your local and state governments and your management companies.
Finally, NCFAA Supplier Members are available to help with any emergency needs your communities might have. Please click here to view the Supplier Directory that outlines each industry product and/or service.
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at (352) 333-0333 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
North Central Florida Apartment Association